Car accidents can be extremely stressful, and when you’re in the moment, it’s easy to forget what to do. Here at Adams Collision, we’re here to help you get through a tough time by outlining easy steps you can take when you get in an accident.
- Check Yourself for Injuries: If you’re injured in a car accident, call 911, or have someone else do so. If you’re been seriously injured, try not to move, and wait until emergency vehicles arrive.
- Check on the Wellbeing of Passengers: If you have other passengers in the car, check on their well-being. If anyone is injured, call 911.
- Get to Safety: If you’re able to move your car, and it’s causing a hazard where it is, try and move it as far over the the side of the road as possible. If your car is total, and you’re unable to move it, exit your vehicle and get to safety in case your car is accidentally struck again.
- Call 911: If you or anyone is injured, call 911 immediately.
- Wait for Help: Turn off your engine, turn on your hazard lights, and if you have a flare, put it out to let other drivers know to slow down and use caution.
- Exchange Information: After ensuring you or any other passengers are uninjured, exchange information with the other driver. The most important information includes: full name, phone number, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license and license plate number, description of the vehicle including type, color, and model, and lastly, the location of the accident.
- Document the Accident: In order to protect yourself, you should collect the following information at the accident site: the name and badge number of all responding officers, obtain a copy of the police report when it’s made available, take pictures of the accident from all angles, including other vehicles, take down information of all individuals involved, and do your best to talk to witnesses who saw the accident.
- Notify your Insurance and Start the Claims Process: Notify your insurance provider and file a claim.
After you’ve followed all these steps, you’re going to need someone to help put your car back together, and make it look as good as new. This is where Adams Collision comes in. We’ll assess the damage and do our best to get your car back onto the road, and looking brand new. Give us a call today at 847-961-5409, or visit our website.